dSLR Geeks
Go Back   dSLR Geeks > General > dSLR Geeks Blog
Reload this Page HOW TO - Making a Multiple Exposure Photograph

Old 11-14-2007, 10:05 PM

HOW TO - Making a Multiple Exposure Photograph

There are 0 comments on this entry, click here to view them or to place a comment.
Administrator

higabyte has a spectacular aura abouthigabyte has a spectacular aura abouthigabyte has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via MSN to higabyte Send a message via Skype™ to higabyte
TUTORIAL – MAKING A MULTIPLE EXPOSURE PHOTOGRAPH
I’ve seen a few post around the internet and even some articles on this and never tried it until the other day when the kids were at school, the wife upstairs in bed not feeling well, leaving me extremely bored. So I figured I’d have some fun and went out on the playground to give multiple exposures a try.

Adobe Photoshop is a great program for many things. So this is what I am going to use for this tutorial. I’m using CS3. There is also a program called GroupShot by Microsoft that people use, but I personally haven’t tried it.
The first thing you want to do is create your photos. To do this, you must use a tripod. Go ahead and set the tripod up, frame your picture and start visualizing where you want to pose. You can have someone take the pictures, or in my case, I was all alone, so I used my remote. Once you have your images you can move on to stacking them.
Stacking them you ask? Yep, stacking them! You do this by opening Photoshop and then go File>Scripts>Load Files into Stack. Browse to where you have your pictures. *ENSURE YOU CHECK “ATTEMPT TO AUTOMATICALLY ALIGN SOURCE IMAGES”*, then click OK.

What you’re going to want to do now that the images are stacked into Photoshop is click on the top layer and change the opacity to 40%. Doing this will allow you to see the layer directly below this one. *NOTE* The other layers will still not be visible. Now, you need select the eraser tool and depending on how much you are filling your frame, will depend on what brush size to use, but in my case, I am going to select a brush size of 75 pixels and reduce the hardness to say 50%. There are a couple ways of doing this, but I will only cover the easiest. Once you have changed to the appropriate size brush, you need to double check the top layer is still selected and erase the section that became visible. Make that layer (the second layer invisible) and repeat for each of the layers that are left.
fficeffice" />>>
We’re almost done. Now, you want to select the marquee tool, lasso tool and set the feather to about 15 pixels. Click on each of the layers (with the exception of the bottom one) and draw around the item you want left. After you selection is made, go to Select>Inverse (or Shift+Ctrl+I) and then hit the delete key. You should have the below.

Ok that’s it, now flatten the image, Layer>Flatten Image and then if needed adjust your levels, saturation, sharpness, etc.

Currently Own:

Camera Bodies:
Nikon D7100

Lenses
Nikon 50 f1.8
Nikon 85 f3.5 Micro
Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR
Sigma 17-50 f2.8

Speedlights:
SB-600

Memberships & Associations
Professional Photographers of America (PPA)
National Association of Photoshop Professionals (NAPP)

Submit Photos to Shutterstock and make $$$!
Visit ShutterStock

http://www.TraceyHigginbotham.com
http://www.HigginbothamPhotography.com
There are 0 comments on this entry, click here to view them or to place a comment.